Sunday, March 13, 2011

Shame on Me...Ashlyn's Belated Birthday Post...Part 1

`
I cannot believe it has been over two weeks since my beautiful Ashlyn turned 7 years old and I am just now getting around to posting about it!

SHAME
ON
ME!

It was a busy weekend around her birthday and it took me several days to recover, but I think she had a GREAT birthday!

One of the biggest excitements for Ashlyn was that she got a “bedroom makeover” and we worked it out so that it would all happen around her birthday. We painted her bedroom on the weekend before her birthday and her new furniture was delivered just a few days before and we were able to get all her new bedding on her bed before all her friends came over for a sleepover.

Just a little history on the bedroom switcheroo…we recently moved Maddie downstairs to her very own bedroom…and therefore she inherited our old bedroom furniture complete with a queen size bed. She has done so well adjusting to being downstairs by herself…personally, I think she LOVES having her own space and her own bathroom. Therefore, because she moved into a different size of bed, she got to pick out new bedding.

Of course, Ashlyn was extremely jealous and we had several breakdowns, but we promised her that she would be getting an upgrade as well. And finally she did…and right in time for her birthday to show it all off! She picked pink and black for her bedroom colors! 

Very Cute!.....  Very Ashlyn!


On Friday the 25th (her actually birthday), I was able to take off half the day from work and have lunch with Ashlyn at school!


These are the gentlemen that sat and ate lunch with us that day!


After lunch, the had "indoor" recess with a fun game of "red light, green light"!


I stayed the rest of the afternoon and she was able to show me what she does at school all day…

Ashlyn was VIP the week of her birthday...meaning she got to be in the front of every line, she got to bring show and tell and do calendar...


and after the kids all sang "Happy Birthday" to Ash...

(sorry Mrs. Harris...it was just one pic!)

we got to hand out treats!


The kids in Mrs. Harris’ class are great! They had so much fun with a “visitor” for the day. And, since I had my camera out, they loved posing for it!


Ashlyn's class was challenging the other two 1st grade classes to "Math Olympics".  They did such a good job and Ashlyn's won the challenge.  Mrs. Anderson presented them with their award...


Ashlyn was so proud of her class for winning!


I got the opportunity to visit Maddie too, at lunch and then sat with her during her “chinese” class.

Maddie & her friend Kailee at "indoor" recess

That was VERY unique to say the least. First, they are learning CHINESE! But more than that, they are learning it VIRTUALLY! I tell you what, technology is mainstream in the 3rd grade class at Southeast! Not only do they learn on their own Ipod Touch, they have virtual classes.


I did find out that the “teacher” wasn’t actually in China, but instead was at a Learning Center in town and the technology allowed her to teach the class without going to all the schools.

It was amazing!

After school, Ashlyn brought three little girls home for the night, two of which were able to actually sleep over! It was her very first sleepover… and to say the least… they did VERY well.

We ate pizza, watched movies and colored... we did some crafty things and we even got to go swimming at the YMCA!

Ashlyn & Erica

Ashlyn & Ivie

Ashlyn & Meghan

They even went to bed on their very own…all three of them in Ashlyn’s new bed! (I knew that would come in handy!) and that meant that mamma bear got to sleep in her own bed and not on the couch! 

Yippee...  Trust me...everyone benefited from that.  I don't function too well when I don't get a good night's sleep.

That wasn't all the fun...but this post has been long enough.  I will share the rest of the story next post!

1 comment:

Dana said...

Aw, that girl has got to feel special after all that! That's awesome! I love her new bedding. Great colors. It looks so "big girl" - I'd be happy with that in my own bedroom! Tell her she has good taste. ;)