Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Traditions

Something that is very important to Chris and I is that our family starts traditions that the girls will remember when they are grown up. Hopefully, these will be the things that they look forward to each year and may even pass onto their own families some day.

We haven't started too many yet, but one of our family traditions is Friday night sleepovers, which sometimes consists of the girls pushing their beds together and at othertimes consists of everyone sleeping in our bed, which usually kicks Chris to the couch. Another one we have started is having new Christmas pj's for the whole family to wear to bed Christmas Eve and open presents in the next morning. (This one tends to make for really great "Christmas morning" pics.)

Well, this Sunday we realize that how we put up our Christmas tree has become another family tradition. Something that I have always enjoyed while I've put up the tree in the past is watching (or really listening to) the movie "A White Christmas". It is an old classic (and is NOT Chris' favorite), but I love to have it on in the background. It really gets me into the Christmas spirit. This year the girls asked if we could put the tree up and watch mommy's favorite Christmas movie too! They wanted to have it on as well, which made me smile inside and know that we were creating another tradition as a family. And putting the tree up this year was better than any other since the girls are older and wanted to help put the decorations on the tree. They mostly enjoyed getting to put each of their past year's handmade ornaments on the tree. We talked about how old they were when they made them and they reveled in their precious artwork. They had the best time putting the tree up and I'm sure they will look forward to do it again next year.

I anticipate more family traditions to come and am excited to see what they will be.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's such a cute story! The best traditions are the ones you don't plan!!

Lauren said...

I can't remember the last time I didn't have new pj's on Christmas Eve! I love that tradition for my family. That will be something that I carry on.